How To Start A New Club
Want to Start a rugby club in your area. Whether it is a single team, a multi divisional club, a school or community program, Rugby NorCal is happy to help you get up and running.
What You Will Need:
- A level 200 certified coach for each team you will have.
- A referee (all clubs are required to help recruit and develop new referees so we can ensure we have a sustainable pool of refs.)
- A referee coordinator
- A field to practice on
- Players! (How will you recruit, how will you ensure your club is sustainable year after year?
Budget and Fees. Things you will need to pay for include:
- Athletic Trainer for all home games
- Field usage/lights (if applicable)
- Annual club registration dues of $160
- Player registration fees (vary depending on age)
Resources that Rugby NorCal provides:
- Club start up kit: includes balls, ball bag, water bottle and water carrier, pennies
- Administrative support: our Operations Manager is always available to assist you with any questions you may have.
- Referees: RNC pays referee fees and does our best to assure that a certified referee is assigned to all league games.
All new teams/clubs must apply to be a part of Rugby NorCal. Please find application HERE to answer the questions below:
- Why do you want to start a rugby team?
- Where are you located/where will you practice?
- What division(s) will your team/club have? (i.e. U8, U10, U12, boys/girls middle school, boys/girls high school)
- Who will coach?
- Do you have someone who can get certified as a referee?
- Who will be your team/club admin?
- Will this be a school affiliated team or a community club?
- What kind of support do you have either from a school or community members, parents, businesses, etc.?
- Do you have a budget/Where will you receive funding from?
- How will you market your club and recruit players?/where will you recruit players from?
- Please provide any other relevant information you would like to share.